Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Daily Devotion: Go to Dark Gethsemane (Luke 22:39-51)


Of all the Holy places in Jerusalem, one that made the most impact on me was the garden of Gethsemane. The above photo was taken by my friend, Guy Davis, who was part of our tour group. As beautiful as many of the churches are through the Holy Land, the simplicity of this garden--filled with olive trees descended from the same ones under which Jesus prayed--gripped me. Like every other site, it was somewhat crowded with pilgrims. But still, amid the greenery, there were moments where I glimpsed what it may have been like. On the edge of the city, with an easy escape to the hills behind you...and the mission to which God has called you dead ahead.
When I go back there in my mind, the question I ponder is, "God, what cross have I been avoiding? What sacrifice, what change, needs to happen in my life?"
 Wake me up, Lord. Call me to pray with you, and stand with those being betrayed and crucified today. Wake me up. I have been sleeping too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment