Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Christian Citizenship (Biblical Reasons Why I Want to Be a Christian in a Multi-Faith Nation) Part 5


 

This post is part 5 of a series on Christian citizenship, and why I believe mixing Christian identity with American identity is bad for both. My intent in sharing these short Biblical reflections is not to "prooftext", or just compile a list of unrelated Bible verses to support my argument. Rather, I hope to give you little bite-sized thoughts, which I believe represent themes you'll find throughout the Bible and historic Christian teachings.

I hope they make you think.

Today's reason why I want to live as a Christian in a multi-faith nation:

Martin Luther once wrote to a German prince, “it is out of the question that there should be a common Christian government over the whole world or indeed over a single country or any considerable body of people, for the wicked always outnumber the good.” (On Temporal Authority, 1523). Luther believed that before establishing any kind of “Christian government,” it was necessary first to fill the world with true Christians by sharing the Good News of Jesus and teaching people the way of Christ, without forcing anyone into faith. This was written in Europe in the Middle Ages, when virtually everyone was baptized and a Christian, at least in name. I suspect Luther would be even less optimistic about establishing a “Christian nation” today.

Luther believed that the heart of Christianity was faith: faith alone. He thought that creating more religious laws would not increase religious faith. I agree with him. 

For a reflection on the prophet Jeremiah and how to live faithfully without any political power, check out tomorrow's post.

For more background information read this statement from the ELCA's presiding bishop, or learn about Christians Against Christian Nationalism.


No comments:

Post a Comment