Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Exodus 34:1-9 Christian Value Of the Day: Mercy




Observation: Moses goes up on Mount Sinai--again--because God has promised to pass by, in person, to write God's law on his new stone tablets, because Moses smashed the old ones in anger when he saw the Israelites bowing to a golden calf. When this happens, Moses doesn't just experience the glory of God's presence. He hears about God's character. First and foremost, God is gracious and merciful.




Application: Sometimes my patience is not what I would like it to be. The next time I hear someone, especially a Christian, who has never actually sat and read the Hebrew Bible start running their mouth about how wrathful and violent the "Old Testament God" is and how they much prefer the "New Testament God"...I am concerned I will not respond mercifully.

But, for real. Let me share these defining words about God's character, repeated half a dozen times throughout the Hebrew Bible.

God is, and I quote, "merciful and gracious,slow to anger,
and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for the thousandth generation,
forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin". And Yes, the passage does indeed go on to talk about punishing evil-doers to the third and fourth generation. So for those keeping score at home, that's looking like "Wrath, 4, Mercy, 996." Jesus didn't introduce us to a "new God." He showed who God has always been. God is merciful, full stop. And Jesus commands us to imitate that behavior. Even with pedantic proof-texters. That's hitting home today.


Prayer: God, thank you for mercy. Thank you for protecting me from the disastrous consequences I have rightfully earned in my illustrious life so far. Help me to show others some modicum of that same mercy today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment