Thursday, August 24, 2017

John 1:43-51 "Come and See"



Observation: Jesus calls Philip as a disciple, but Nathaniel is doubtful that anything good can come from Nazareth. Philip's response is perfect: "Come and see." He doesn't argue or persuade. He invites. 

Application: I absolutely love movie trailers. To me, depending on the movie, seeing these little tastes of movies to come--some of which I'll see and some I won't--is almost as good as the film itself. 

But a trailer is not the whole movie. There is much more to see. The whole point of a trailer is to get you to the theater again, and see the film being advertized. 

I think disciples of Jesus should be kind of like "trailers" for him. The Lord we know can't be known by our winning a debate. We can't "give" someone Jesus in a single conversation. He can only be known in Christian community, through word and sacrament, over a lifetime. So the best thing we can do is to live like "trailers" for him, such that what we say and do amounts to, "come and see!" Unlike with a few films I've seen, the film itself is way better than the trailer. 

Prayer: Lord, help my life to say "come and see." 

No comments:

Post a Comment