Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Christian Citizenship (Biblical Reasons Why I Want to Be a Christian in a Multi-Faith Nation) Part 36

 


This post is part 36 of a series on Christian citizenship, and why I believe mixing Christian identity with American identity is bad for both. I hope to give you little bite-sized thoughts, which represent themes you'll find throughout the Bible and historic Christian teachings.

Today's reason I want to live as a Christian in a multi-faith nation: because Christians have enough to worry about in keeping watch over our own souls, let alone the soul of a nation. 

Colossians, a letter attributed to the Apostle Paul, warns readers not to fall into a long list of bad habits of thought, word and deed, which believers had before they became Christians. Christians today tend to focus on sins related to sex, but right next to "fornication", the letter lists "greed (which is idolatry)" and "anger, wrath, malice, slander and abusive language from your mouth."

The letter's point is not that Christians never do these things--we wouldn't have a letter asking them not to if that were the case--but that seeking Christ helps renew our souls in order to live a new way. 

As I read this in my daily Bible readings, it occurred to me that just focusing on renewing my own soul in Christ is more than a full time job. If I were serious about that, I wouldn't have time to worry about how any local, state or national policies are favorable or unfavorable to Christians, because my main concern would be whether I myself am acting like a Christian. And I would venture a guess that if Christians focused first on our own thoughts, actions and most of all words, we would have more impact on our communities, and our nation, than any law or court case ever could.      

 For more background information read this statement from the ELCA's presiding bishop, or learn about Christians Against Christian Nationalism.   


No comments:

Post a Comment