Tuesday, October 25, 2022

1 Peter 5:1-11 Humble Leaders

 


Observation: Near the end of this letter, Peter encourages elders of the church to lead humbly, not lording their leadership over others but instead serving as an example. Humble leadership is also non-anxious leadership. When we realize God is truly in charge, we can cast our cares and anxieties on God. 

Application: On the recommendation of a huddle member, I've been listening to a podcast called The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill. It tells the story of a Seattle megachurch in the 1990s and 2000s, led by a very strong and domineering pastor, who saw faith as a constant battle and treated many personal interactions the same way. At first, this attitude was refreshing and people were attracted to this pastor's forceful strength. In the end, however, this style caused the collapse of the church. 

We all need to think  and pray about what humble leadership looks like. On the one hand, we need to claim authority in Christ. We are called and given gifts to set an example of faithful living for others. We can't sell ourselves short, or apologize for who God made us. At the same time, we often need to take a step back, and ask, "am I lifting up Jesus' way, or insisting on my own?" I'm working on that balance in my own ministry and I suggest you do the same. We're all leading someone. Let's lead humbly. 

Prayer: Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner. Put your grace and love before me always, and help me lift you up. In Jesus' name, Amen. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment