Tuesday, October 19, 2021

1 Samuel 10:17-25 Hiding Among the Baggage

 




Observation: The Prophet Samuel is, begrudgingly, helping the people of Israel select a king. He knows this is a rejection of God's leadership. He knows they're just trying to conform to what other nations are doing. But God has allowed this to happen, so Samuel goes along with it. By casting lots, they discern God's will, narrowing it down to one tribe, one family, and even one son among the family: Saul, son of Kish. The problem is, Saul is nowhere to be found. He's out hiding among the baggage. That's not a problem for God: even when Saul hides from his calling, he can't stop God's plan for his life. 

Application: I may never have run and "hid among the baggage," like Saul. I may not have booked passage to Tarshish, like the prophet Jonah. But more than once, I've avoided a difficult conversation, allowed myself to be distracted by something I know isn't part of my mission, or put off a task I know is essential for God's purpose in my life. This beautiful passage from 1 Samuel is a great reminder that God is merciful, and God is persistent. We all stumble and make mistakes. That doesn't take us off the hook. God waits us out, goes after us, forgives us, heals us, and calls us all over again. Our procrastination, our flakiness, even our outright stubbornness, can't mess up God's plan for our lives. We don't have that kind of power. Thanks be to God, and let's get on with it. 

Prayer: God, find me when I hide from my calling. Help me cast aside my excuses as quickly and easily as you do, and pursue your call. In Jesus' name, amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment