Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Numbers 6:22-27 Put My Name On Them

 


Observation: The Lord gives this beautiful blessing for Aaron and his family, who will be Israel's priests. God promises "I shall put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them." God's name is holy. By receiving this blessing, the people of Israel are also made holy. 

Application: File this under "Bible passages Lutherans have memorized but don't know it." This beautiful priestly blessing has been offered at the conclusion of Lutheran worship services going back generations, if not centuries. (I'd be interested to learn if it's also common in the worship of other Christian denominations. I don't have that information on hand, but I suspect so.) Through our connection to Jesus, we believe that we have been "grafted onto the tree" of God's chosen people, and can be included in offering this holy blessing to one another. It's not a thing to be taken lightly, but a gift to be received with great humility. This is how God puts God's name on us. 

Prayer: God, you are holy. Thank you for blessing us and making us holy as well.

BONUS TRIVIA: Watch this interview Leonard Nimoy, in which he tells how he developed Mr. Spock's Vulcan greeting, "Live Long and Prosper." It is adapted from the Aaronic blessing as offered in his childhood synagogue! now you know :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment