Wednesday, January 13, 2021

John 1:29-34 "I Myself Did Not Know Him"

 


Observation: John the Baptizer says something about Jesus that, if you use the other gospels as a reference point, is quite shocking. He says, "I myself did not know him." What does he mean? According to Luke's gospel, their mothers are cousins. Before John was even born, he leapt for joy in the presence of the unborn Jesus. To say, "I did not know him" about a close family member like this would be a huge dishonor in that culture. So what does John mean? Is the Fourth Gospel just telling the story differently, as if Jesus and John are strangers before this moment? Or is it possible that John is using the word "know" in a deeper, spiritual sense here? I think that's possible. Based on what John says about the prophecy he received, about the Holy Spirit descending, I think what he's saying here is, "Look, I grew up with this guy, but I had no idea who he really is. Not until now. But believe me, he's the real deal. He's the son of God." That's an interpretation that makes sense to me. 

Application: I sometimes have to stop and ask myself the same question John asked. How well do I actually know Jesus? In a way, I've known him all my life. I was baptized in his name as a baby. I've grown in my understanding of his story, and his significance in my own life. But does that mean I know him? Sometimes Christians will speak of knowing Jesus as if it's a light switch one can turn off and on. Once you've made a decision to entrust your life to him and acknowledge him as Savior, you "know him." If you've never done that, you don't. But if John's Gospel is true, and Jesus really is the Word of God made flesh--the infinite wisdom, intelligence, and love of the One who spoke creation into existence, in human form--then knowing him as Savior, in our own limited understanding of that word, is just the very beginning. There's always more to know, both in scripture, and in the world which God so loves, in which Jesus is still quite active. 

Prayer: Jesus, help me get to know you a little better today. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment