Thursday, October 8, 2020

1 Peter 5:1-5 Celebrating Elders

 



Observation: This passage seems to be directed at young leaders in the church. Tend the flock, do not lord your authority over others, and accept the authority of elders.

Application: Pastoral authority is something that every leader deals with, when to stand firm and when to go with the flow, when to provide comfort and when to hold others to account. I was ordained at twenty six. I have struggled mightily over the years with feeling truly accepted as a leader. Still, my experience pales in comparison with stories I hear from pastors who are women (regardless of age) and people of color. The reality is you can do and say everything exactly right and some folks still will not respect you. The measure of your leadership has to be from the true Shepherd, not just from how people are treating you. That said, I will always support the authority and leadership if colleagues because we need to have each other's back. This is a tough calling. 

Thirteen years in ministry has also transformed my attitude when it comes to "accepting the authority of elders." It's no secret that most churches are older in average age than the surrounding population. While I still think churches should set a goal of doing every kind of ministry they can with young people, at this point I celebrate that our church has many members who have lived long lives. I learn every day from seniors in church. Over the years they have taught me about faith, humility, priorities, pain, grief, and how to grapple with our own mortality. There is no other place but a religious community where I could have learned these lessons in such depth. And I dare say, I'd recommend it to anyone, even if your faith is a little shaky now.  Sharing life together with folks further down the road than you is a treasure. 

Prayer: God, thank you for elders. Thank you for their experience, their joy, their wisdom. Help us to honor them. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment