Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Matthew 9:2-8 Easier Said Than Done

 


Observation: In the first century mindset, sin and sickness were connected. So were forgiveness and healing. But in the second-temple religious system, the only way to be "sure" God has forgiven your sins was to go to Jerusalem and have a priest offer a sacrifice for you in the temple. For Jesus to just forgive a man his sins in someone's house would have been seen as totally illegitimate and blasphemous. But Jesus doesn't back down. To show this paralyzed man his sins are forgiven, he commands him to stand and walk. Therein lies the proof of Jesus' authority. 

Application: Christians (especially Lutherans) talk a whole lot about grace. We talk a lot about forgiveness. I know I do. But we talk a lot less about how that grace should change us. How should I think and speak differently, now that I've been relieved of an unbearable burden of sin? How should I move differently through this world? I may not be like the man in the story, with one single dramatic moment of coming into contact with God's grace, and going from paralysis to movement. Not many of us are like that. But I have moments every day, and certainly every week, where I encounter Jesus. And if I don't act any different at all before and after--if not even one little part of my soul starts to "get up and walk"--then maybe it's time to head back to Jesus and try it again. That's what a real encounter with forgiveness is all about. 

Prayer: Jesus, forgive me. Forgive me for not making full use of my forgiveness. For not getting up and walking freely, using my voice and my mind freely to praise you and to be your hands and feet in the world. The next time you say my sins are forgiven, help me to be more ready to get up. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment