Thursday, February 13, 2020

James 1:12-16 Talk to Your Thoughts


Observation: We don't normally think about temptation as a blessing, but here in this text I read, "blessed is anyone who endures temptation." Still, though James' letter does not condemn anyone just for being tempted, it also makes clear that temptation is not from God. God doesn't toy with us to test our faithfulness. Temptations come from our own desire. From our own drives as humans, to survive, to reproduce, to have acclaim and self-determination. None of these drives is bad in itself, but unless we understand them and what they're for, they can lead us to do harmful things. 

Application: We are not in control of our thoughts. Let me say that again. We. Are. Not. In. Control. Of. Our. Thoughts. But we do have some control in how aware we are of them, and how we engage with them. Too often for me, the road between random thought and knee-jerk words or actions can feel quite short, to the point of feeling nonexistent. The thoughts I've picked up by the side of the road are often at their destination before I even acknowledge that they're there. What I don't often pay attention to is the fact that, while I can't predict which thoughts will be hitching a ride any given day, I can slow down and decide which ones we will pick up. And even once I pick them up, I can engage them in conversation, to determine if these are going to be good company on my mental road. Bottom line: It is neither effective or helpful to be ashamed and beat ourselves up over the fact that we have negative thoughts. Temptation is a natural part of life. But we have more control than we think we do in determining which thoughts will be helpful in our life of faith, and which ones are better left on the side of the road. 

Prayer: God, thank you for my mind. Help me to be mindful. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment