Tuesday, October 22, 2019

2 Samuel 25:31-35 The Lord and the "lord"


Observation: King David has been disrespected by a man named Nabal, whose wife Abigail then comes to apologize profusely and bring a gift, in the hope that David does not take vengeance. In English this passage is tricky, because Abigail invokes all kinds of blessings of "The Lord" (YHWH, God of Israel) upon "my lord" (meaning King David). I had to read it a couple times to get it. But I think it's an intentional move on Abigail's part, even as she's blessing him, to always remind David: "You are 'my lord', but you aren't THE Lord. Be gentle." David takes the hint and has mercy. Abigail eventually becomes his wife, which is probably good for David and definitely good for Abigail, but not so good for Nabal...but that's another story.

Application: To me, this is just a reminder that there are many "lords" in my life--many people who, for better or worse, wield great influence over my day to day existence. But there's only one Lord (capital L). When my people-pleasing tendencies threaten to hamper the ministry I'm called to do, it's best to check in with God. When I do that, it's easier to take a breath, acknowledge the tummy butterflies, and remind any would-be "lord" that I already have a Lord, and I'll be doing that Lord's will today, thanks.

Prayer:
Lord, you alone are the source, the guide, and the restorer of my life. May your will be done on earth--and in my life--as in heaven. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment