Friday, April 26, 2019

Acts 5:17-26 Upbeat Inspirational Devotion About Life

Proclaiming Jesus despite adversity? That's what's up.


Observation: Peter has been thrown into prison for telling the story of Jesus, by the same religious authorities responsible for Jesus' death. An angel breaks Peter out of prison, and tells him to go stand in the temple, again, and tell the whole story, again, which gets Peter arrested, again. This will lead right into our first lesson for Sunday, in which Peter will tell Jesus' story, again. And so it goes. 

Application: My kids really love the film, Teen Titans Go to the Movies. As kids' entertainment goes, I have to admit I like it, too. It is just the right kind of complete ridiculousness for my sense of humor. At one point in the movie, Robin, the protagonist, is feeling down. The solution? An "upbeat inspirational song," complete with 1980's keyboards and bizarre, happy rainbow-themed animations. This seems to do the trick for Robin. 

The problem is, when faced with serious obstacles and setbacks, most of us can't be turned around by just one song, no matter how upbeat or inspirational. We need ongoing relationships: people we know will have our back, even when times get tough. Most of all, we need friendship with Jesus.

Can you imagine the kind of strength it would take for Peter, who has just been jailed for his faith, to go right back to doing what got him thrown in jail? And this, after denying Jesus three times, running off into the night, and cowering in a locked room for fear of the very same authorities he now faces down multiple times? Do you suppose somebody sang him an upbeat inspirational song? Did he watch a really good TED talk about overcoming adversity? Or maybe....

Maybe Peter's behavior is a direct result of his experience of meeting the Risen Jesus. His 180-degree turn around is not of his own making, but 100% God's doing, through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

So...are you feeling down? Like you just can't do it today? Well, let me give you some insight: Most likely, you can't. But God can. My prayer for you--and for myself, because I need it today--is for at least one Jesus sighting. May you find just one sign of new life in the midst of sadness and frustration...just enough to spring you loose from whatever's imprisoning you, and to get you in the right kind of trouble all over again. 

Prayer: Jesus, I need you to show up for me today. I don't need energy or motivation or extra sleep. Well...I guess I need those things too, but what I need more than anything is for you to show up in my life, to break me loose from my spiritual prisons, to get me right back into the right kind of trouble for the sake of your Good News. Amen.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment