Tuesday, February 5, 2019

1 Corinthians 14:13-25 In Group Language




Observation: Paul talks to Corinthian Christians about speaking in tongues in worship. I'm fascinated by these instructions he gives about speaking and interpreting tongues, because though that gift seems to have been common in first century Corinth, and even Paul claims to have it, it's not something that's ever been common in any church I've been part of.

Application: I hate to admit, when I have been in worship settings where speaking in tongues has happened, instinctively I've reacted like the "unbeliever" Paul describes, thinking the speakers are simply out of their minds. I don't mean to sound judgemental, or as if I don't believe some people have this gift. I absolutely do, and I'm thankful that the Holy Spirit moves that way in some parts of the church. But especially if no one is there to "interpret", or give a commentary on the words they believe the speaker is saying, it's extremely off-putting for a brand new visitor. In cases like that, it really doesn't do what the Spirit intends, which is to build up believers and instruct us in faith.

But taking a step back from glossolalia (speaking in tongues) in a literal sense, I think a lot of communities have "in language," which is  very helpful and meaningful to those who "get it," but gobbledygook to everyone else. Anymore, we can't assume a visitor in worship will even know the basics of the Bible that many of us learned in Sunday school. So from this passage, I hear not just a warning for those who speak in tongues, but also for those like me who speak "Christian-ese" in our daily lives: remember to translate. You could really help someone if they knew what on earth you were talking about.

Prayer: Lord God, thank you for the language of faith you've given me. Give me the gift of interpretation, to share what you have taught me with others who will benefit from it. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment