Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Micah 4:9-10 Is There No King in You?



Observation: the prophet tells the people they will go to Babylon. The exile in Babylon was a traumatic event in the history of God's people that became a symbol of every bad thing that happens when their relationship with God becomes strained. Yet still, it says "there you shall be rescued", and asks the rhetorical question, "Is there no king in you?" If God is their king, the answer is always "yes."

Application: This makes me think of the term "functional atheism." Even if we say we believe in God, and that God helps us in times of trouble, our attitude and actions day to day are as if that's not true.

No person of faith is immune to this. I catch myself falling into this trap all the time. It's especially tricky if you do a lot of outwardly "spiritual" things, like attend worship or Bible study, because you can point to those "churchy"  behaviors and still not  realize that you are making decisions every day as if there were no God.

I need help remembering that God is alive and active in my life. Now and again, I need someone to ask me, "Is there no King in you?"

Prayer: God, remind me you are here, you are for us, and that our lives will be a lot more meaningful if we act like it. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment