Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Deuteronomy 8: Don't You Forget About Me





Observation: God has led the Israelites the long way through the wilderness for 40 years, "in order to humble them" and teach them a lesson. This sounds a little like a long detention to me. But the lesson God wants them to learn is to be grateful for all they are about to possess in the Promised Land, and never forget this too comes from God, just as the manna from heaven did. When you're finally out of the wilderness, never forget the friend you made here. 

Application: To be honest, as I read this I'm thinking of our own family finances, and those of many families in our community. I know beyond a doubt that we are right where God wants us, doing what we need to do. But I also know that we have been working hard for a long time, and it's hard not to believe we should have more security and fewer bills to show for it. That said, I am taking the lesson of Deuteronomy to heart. There will always be leaner seasons and seasons of prosperity. But in both, we depend on God for all we have, and we give thanks. The lean seasons are there to teach us that God provides, always. 

Prayer: God, I have so much to be thankful for. Help me remember you, both when times are hard and when they get easier. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment