Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Esther 8:3-6 Pulling some strings


Observation: Esther pleads with her husband, the Persian king Ahasuerus, not to allow the plans of Haman, a court official, to go forward. If Haman has his way, the Jews in the land would all be killed.

Application: One of my favorite quotes from Esther is when Mordecai, a Jewish leader, says to queen Esther, "Who knows? Perhaps you have come to royal dignity for such a time as this." Had Esther, who is also Jewish, not been queen during this time, Haman's plans would have come to pass. Only because Esther uses her power and position to save lives, does Ahasuerus change his orders.

Most of us have some realm in our lives where we have some "pull," some influence.  The question is how we use it. Whether through our jobs, our family connections, our friendships, our standing in the community, hopefully everyone reading this has at least someone they can talk to who will listen to their concerns and maybe help make a change. If not, we at least have prayer, which is a direct line to God, open to all.

As I look at the various places in which I have some "pull," or at least where I'll get a fair hearing, I hope I can follow Esther's example and see my position as a gift from God, for the benefit of others in more vulnerable positions than I.

Prayer: God, help me use whatever position or influence you've given me the way Esther did: to lift up the defenseless. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment