Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Psalm 144

Psalm 144:12, 15 by Eluminora
By Hannah Walker, find the original at https://eluminora.deviantart.com/art/Psalm-144-12-15-372383162
Observation: This song really seems to capture the bombastic, confident character of King David. It says God "trains my hands for war", and asks God for victory in battle, rescue from enemies, and blessings on the land, including strong sons and daughters.

Application: I'm pretty sure I expected being a parent to be hard even before I was one. What I didn't expect would be the kind of hard it would be: or rather, a hundred different kinds of hard, and new ones constantly being introduced, depending on the day. 

I have a daughter and two sons. My daughter is nine and my sons are six and nineteen months. I'm not sure what it would mean for them to be "in their youth like plants full grown," or "like corner pillars for the structures of a palace." I think it's unlikely they'll get there physically--we come from short stock--but spiritually, I'd love for this to happen. I'd love for them to spring up in their understanding, to be constantly sprouting new leaves of trust, and love, and compassion. I'd love for their faith that God is good and God is in control to be every bit as sturdy as a castle's pillar. 

But I'm not seeing it every day. In fact I'm not seeing it  most days. I'd say it's a pretty good day when we only have one raging, screaming tantrum, and it's even better if that one comes from the one of us who's not yet verbal. But the thing I've learned, more than anything, is that we can't control our kids' behavior, or their personalities, or what will make them anxious or angry, or how they will grieve what they lose, or greet what is new. We can control how we react. We can control how we structure our days, to allow for grace and forgiveness and freedom to mess up and grow. Laura and I can control what kind of example we'll set for them, in how we treat each other. And most importantly, we can control how we deal with all that which we can't control, which is almost all of life. We can choose to lift it up to God. 

Prayer: God, bless my kids. Help them grow in their spirits. Help them want to be like you, and give them role models who also want to be like you. Help Laura and me. Help us want to be like you, and extend what grace you give us to these wonderful creatures you have given us to raise up in your way. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment