Saturday, June 3, 2017

Exodus 19:1-9 A Priestly Kingdom and a Holy Nation


"Then Moses went up to God; the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the Israelites: You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed, the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the Israelites."

Observation: It's just three months into their Exodus out of Egypt. The people of Israel legitimately have zero clue what they are in for. Suffice it to say it won't always be an easy journey. There will be hunger, disease and danger. There will be conflict. And a whole lot of them won't make it to the Promised Land. But God has already delivered them on eagle's wings from slavery. And God assures those who trust that they will be a priestly kingdom and a holy nation. 

Application: Ten years ago when Laura and I loaded up a U-Haul with all our worldly possessions, including a freshly minted theology degree and certificate of ordination, it's very safe to say I had no idea what I was in for. But as I sit and watch the sunrise in Ocean City Maryland on the final day of my ninth Synod Assembly here (I missed my first because Maggie was a week old), I can't help but believe that the same God who delivered me from sin and death on eagles' wings at my baptism, has introduced me to a priestly kingdom and a holy nation in this place. It hasn't always been easy. I've faced many of the heartbreaking realities of ministry (some of them self inflicted.) But I am grateful to God for every single day of it. 

Prayer: O God, you once called me to ventures of which I could not see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Thank you for giving me the grace to go out with good courage, not always knowing where I went or what I was doing, but knowing your hand always protected me, your love sustained me, and your priestly people have loved, trusted, taught, and many times forgiven me. Thank you Lord. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment