Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Psalm 119:105-112 "Lumos!"



Observation: During this reeeeally long love song to God's law, the psalmist compares God's commands to a "lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Even in difficult times, God's word ensures that we are not just stumbling around in the darkness.

Application: I'm not going to lie, it has been a hard morning, to follow up a hard couple of days. My wife and I racked up a record number of consequences for my 5-year-old son just to keep him at the table eating his breakfast. I had to have a long conversation with my 8 year old daughter about being honest, not just to avoid getting in trouble, but to form trusting relationships as an adult. It is so, so hard just to provide the structure and accountability our kids need.

Both in our home and in our country and world, it's feeling increasingly like stumbling in the dark, without a common moral compass to turn to. Right and wrong, true and false seem constantly up for debate. Sometimes I wish I could cry out "Lumos!", like in Harry Potter, and have a wand at the ready to shed light on our common situation, so we can all see where we are and where we need to go.

It may not be quite as easy as a magic spell, but as people of faith, we do have the promise of structure and accountability through God's law. God's Word can shed light on our lives, and light our path forward: but more importantly, show us when we've left the path altogether, and need God's grace and forgiveness to lead us back. God does not abandon us to darkness, with no truth to be found and every path as good as every other. Even in the most confusing and confounding times, we have a light.

Prayer: God, thank you for your Word. Thank you for accountability, for direction, and for the light of your truth. Help us walk by the path it shows. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment